Saturday, May 20, 2023, 12:00 noon
On Game Farm Road where the Dryden Rail Trail
meets the East Ithaca Recreation Way
Come together to help us “open the gates”
to connect the Dryden Rail Trail and East Ithaca Recreation Way.
People hiking, bicycling, and jogging will approach Game Farm Road simultaneously on both trails, coming from designated parking areas. (Note that there will be NO PARKING on Game Farm Road! Download parking maps here.) By noon, we’ll all arrive where the trails meet to officially connect the Dryden and Ithaca trails. We invite you start early from your parking area so you will have time to stop along the way for family-friendly riddles. Once we arrive at Game Farm Road, there will be music and snacks, and inspirational short speeches by those who made the trails and this connection possible.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- 10:30 a.m.–11:30 p.m. Find a place to park and proceed to the trails. The time depends on your chosen parking area, the speed you will travel, and time you allot for quiz questions and riddles along the trails.
- 11:45 a.m.–11:55 a.m. Join in with others to walk together to the gates and be filmed by overhead drones! Meet at the table on the trail for free treats and prizes. (Location is shown on the map that can be downloaded here.) Wait for the signal to proceed so we can all arrive at the gates at Game Farm Road at the same time.
- 12:00 noon Travel to the gates at Game Farm Road. They will be ceremonially unlocked and opened wide! Proceed through the gates from two directions; make noise! A drone will record us for posterity (weather permitting).
- 12:15 p.m. Gather round for short acknowledgements and speeches from those who made the trails and this connection possible.
- 12:30 p.m.–1:00 Party! Dance to the music; enjoy some treats donated by local restaurants and shops; fill your water bottles; learn about local walking, hiking, running, and cycling clubs; and enjoy a train race down Game Farm Road for kids. Record your thoughts about this special event and the trails in general on our Connect the Trails! Fest banner. Keep an eye out for Shira Evergreen (the one with the video camera) if you wish to say something on camera.
- 1:00 p.m. Game Farm Road will reopen to traffic.
- Continue back along the trails to your parking area. Enjoy the wildflowers, birds, creeks, beaver activity, etc. Check out the quiz questions/riddles on the opposite trail. Tables with prizes, treats and water will remain on the trails until all prizes are given out. Remember to cross Game Farm Road with care as you return.
Click to download our press release
Click to download this image of the new crossing at Game Farm Road. Photo credit: Diane Tessaglia-Hymes
Updates will be posted to this page as they occur.
You must be logged in to post a comment.